October 19, 2021

The Tampa Herald

A fresh, short and direct way to receive the news.

Brazil created its own anticovid vaccine and will test it in humans

2 min read

Brazil announced its first nationally manufactured vaccine, Butanvac, developed by the state-run Butantán Institute and that it is awaiting authorization from regulatory entities to immediately begin to be tested in humans, as anticipated by the governor of Sao Paulo, Joao Doria.

In a press conference at the headquarters of the state laboratory in Sao Paulo, Joao Doria declared, It is a historic announcement for the world. The one hundred percent national vaccine, with promising tests and the fruit of the work of a 120-year-old institution, which is the largest producer of vaccines in the Southern Hemisphere. “

“We have spectacular news, which fills us with hope in relation to health, science and life. The result of the work of the scientists of Butantán over several months of dedication and that we will be presenting to the scientific community of Brazil and international, “Doria said.

The Butantán Institute currently packages and also develops the production of the Coronavac vaccine, from the Chinese laboratory Sinovac, which serves 90% of vaccination in Brazil. The other 10% is with the immunizer from the Anglo-Swedish pharmaceutical AstraZeneca and the British University of Oxford.

The same institution carries out clinical studies in Brazil, authorized by the regulatory body, in order to test a serum made from a virus inactivated by radiation and applied to horses, which produces IgG antibodies and whose blood was extracted and purified with a technique used also for decades.

At the press conference, Covas explained that the new vaccine will be developed from the same technology used for the flu immunizer, used for decades by that immune center.

“There is no vaccine in the world produced in embryonic egg and it will have a much lower cost than those that are being used,” said Covas, who indicated that Vietnam and Thailand also participate in the consortium for the immunizer, countries in which they will be carried out. clinical trials in humans.

“Our commitment is to offer this vaccine for low and middle income countries, which is where we need to fight the pandemic. The pandemic may be under control in North America and Europe, but the virus will continue in countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America,” he added Covas, who did not detail the costs of the project.

Without interfering with Coronavac’s process and schedule, Doria emphasized, the Butantán Institute “already has a production capacity of 160 million per year, with different types of vaccines, but in May we will be able to produce 40 million of the new one and we hope to start to apply it in the second semester of this year “.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *